Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Beading Challenge

Well I was browsing through the Etsy forums ( which is extremely addicting, if you haven 't checked it out I highly recommend it, it is open to both sellers and buyers) the other day and there it was, another thread about "someone copied my stuff." Which of course started a debate on people coming up with the same design independently. Which happens all over the world all the time no matter what category of product you are hand producing. I am not saying that people don't copy, plenty of them do. I am also not saying that no one ever has an original idea because they do. However there are really only so many ways to make a circle out of metal, put bead on a string and make a tote. It's all in what you do with it as far as color, materials and that little something that is you and no one else. So I ran into a friend of mine on Etsy who happened to be chatting in the same thread (http://DesignedByLucinda.etsy.com) and I after some friendly banter I said something like "wouldn't it be neat if a group of us got together and using the same beads each came up with a design so that we could see how similar or different each persons design would be?!" Cindy said yes that would be so cool and then Kira (http://SantiamDesigns.etsy.com) said "Hey I would be willing to provide the beads and ship them to everyone". (Like anyone is going to turn down free beads to play with haha!). A couple of other people chimed in and said that they would be interested in joining us so the three of us decided that we would go ahead and give it a try. Not only would it be an interesting and fun thing to do but it would also be a good way to promote our shops. (We are really hoping for a storque article out of this). So Kira is providing the beads, Cindy is organizing and in touch with Rob from Etsy on the appropriate way to do this, and I am going to be updating our progress as we go. I will also post pictures of the finished products. I believe we will have a couple of judges although there is no prize in this challenge other than the satisfaction of seeing the outcome. (And free beads to play with). If this is successful we may decide to do it two or three times a year with a different person contributing the beads each time. So we will be posting our challenge in the Business and Marketing portion of the forums with Rob's permission and I will keep you updated on what happens next.

8 comments:

ButterflyChicBoutique.com said...

OMG!! What an awesome idea! (and secretly, wouldn't it be great if there were two VERY similar products) Can't wait to see the results!

wordlily said...

That is a good idea.

http://skarph.com/blog

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

What a great idea! I hope you get in the Storque! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Those top ones remind me of butterflies.

Unknown said...

Kiwi it's funny you should say that, those are actually named Dancing Butterfly Earrings!

virtuallori said...

This should be a lot of fun!

Robin Lynne said...

Brilliant! Just wanted to peek in at your blog and say hi (I'm byrobinlynne on Etsy and gettin' to be a part of this, yay!)

Azure Accessories said...

What a great idea...you should be in the Storgue with this idea...I would love to be part of something like this...keep me in mind!!! *H*